Below are listings for resources in the Baton Rouge area, organized by topic.
The State Library of Louisiana offers free training classes in areas such as computer foundations, Microsoft Office applications, and e-reader fundamentals.
Library patrons can access numerous online databases for free through the East Baton Rouge Parish Library’s Digital Library. Some databases require you to register or create an account, and you may be asked for your library card number. Below are some databases that are helpful for job seekers and those who want to improve or learn new skills.
Most classes are six weeks long and include homework. A Certificate of Completion is available. Classes include:
- Computer Applications (Microsoft; Adobe; QuickBooks; etc.)
- Career Resources (LinkedIn; resumes; grant writing; management/leadership; sales/marketing; etc.)
- Test Prep (GED; GMAT; GRE; SAT; etc.)
- Specific Industries (healthcare; legal/paralegal; etc.)
Features online tutorials, study guides for download, and practiced tests that are scored with explanations. Areas include:
- Adult Learning Center (math; reading; grammar; U.S. citizenship process; etc.)
- Career Center (career information; entrance/occupation/military exam preparation; job search and workplace skills; etc.)
- High School Equivalency Center (exam preparation for GED, HiSET, TASC)
- College Center (math; reading; science; graduate school admissions exam preparation; etc.)
- Popular Software Tutorials Center (Microsoft Office; computer graphics and illustration; operating systems)
- Computer and Internet Basics Center
Online tutorials on diverse topics with emphasis on software and technology. Tutorials often include practice exercises, and many courses offer certifications which can be added to your resume and LinkedIn profile. Topics include:
- 3D + Animation
- Audio + Music
- Education + Elearning
Learn a new language. There are also ESL courses designed for native speakers of various languages, such as English for Bengali speakers and English for Vietnamese speakers.
Learn a new language. Also includes ESL courses for speakers of 50 non-English languages.
An online library with technology, digital media, and business books and videos. You must enter your library card number to access the materials. Categories include:
- Desktop and Web Applications (3D printing; databases and reporting tools; hardware and gadgets; operating systems; etc.)
- Web Applications and Services (social media)
- Digital Media (animation and 3D; CAD; graphic design; photography; web design and development; etc.)
- Engineering (chemical; civil; electrical; mechanical; petroleum; etc.)
- Information Technology and Software Development (databases; email; programming; web development; etc.)
- Math and Science (algebra; bioinformatics; geometry; medicine; nanotechnology; etc.)
- Personal and Professional Development (career development; college planning; personal finance; professional networking; small business and entrepreneurship; time management; etc.)
- Product (Adobe Creative Suite; Android; AutoCAD; Google; LinkedIn; Microsoft; SSL; WordPress; etc.)
- Vendor (Amazon; Autodesk; LEGO; Nikon; Samsung; Yahoo!; etc.)
Free Online Learning Resources
Free and paid online courses. Emphasis on skills for professionals interested in driving social change.
Online courses from universities and institutions from across the world. Courses are free, but a fee is required to receive a certificate of completion.
Free online courses from colleges around the world. College credit is not available, but a certificate is issued upon successful completion of a course.
Instructional YouTube videos and interactive exercises in the fields of:
- Economics and finance
- Arts and humanities
- Computer science and programming
- Test prep
- Partner Content
Free and paid courses online. Emphasis on tech skills.
Free online resource for learning how to type more quickly and accurately.
Find Something New
A collection of resources to help you choose the right program for you, select a college or vocational school, and find financial aid, curated by the White House.