The best way to apply for jobs online is to go directly through the company’s website. For example, if you are looking for a job as a cashier in a large retail store, go to walmart.com, target.com, costco.com, etc., and search and apply for jobs that way. It may seem tedious, but there are two big advantages.
- You can find jobs that are not posted elsewhere.
- There is almost no chance you will be scammed.
With all of that in mind, there are several aggregate job search websites that you can use in your job search. They can be big time savers by bringing you dozens of job listings with a single search. However, please beware of scams. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Also beware of the following. These are indicators that the job listing is a scam, not a real job.
- The job isn’t also posted on the company’s website.
- It’s a company you have never heard of and you can’t find online reviews for the company.
- The company or application asks you for credit card information or an introductory fee.
Please exercise your best judgment when using online job boards.
General Job Search Websites
- Coolworks – Seasonal jobs. Mainly in the United States with some opportunities abroad.
- LinkedIn – Professional networking site with a job database. If you would like help with creating a LinkedIn profile, contact the Career Center for assistance.
- Snagajob – Focuses mainly on hourly jobs.
- Vault – Focuses mainly on large national companies.
- WayUp – Jobs and internships for college students and recent grads.
- BR Works by BRAC
- The Advocate
- Better Baton Rouge Jobs
- Greater Baton Rouge Industry Alliance
- Louisiana Job Connection
- Louisiana Star Jobs
- Louisiana Workforce
Specialized Job Search Websites
- CF Industries
- Formosa PLastics
- Georgia Pacific
- Marathon Petroleum
- Westlake Chemical
Child / Elder Care
Computer / IT
environment and conservation
Finance / Banking
Freelance / Work From Home
(Check out our youtube playlist of work-from-home websites)
- Angel List
- Authentic Jobs
- Mechanical Turk
- Power to Fly
- Rat Race Rebellion
- Remote Planet
- We Work Remotely
- Baton Rouge General
- BlueCross BlueShield of Louisiana
- Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady Health System
- Woman’s Hospital
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Louisiana State University
- Southern University and A&M College